Search This Blog

Saturday, April 30, 2011

April 30, 2011

Location: Bogota, Colombia
Weather: Sunshine reggae
Mood: Worried

So you know how I mentioned the other day that I use to have all my clothes from Zara but then Forever 21 took over my wardrobe? Yesterday I found out why. It was really sunny outside and I’m stuck at home for 20 odd hours of the day, 7 days a week so I decided I needed a break from work and I went out for a little stroll – and casually my stroll ended up in the shops – what a coincidence! So I wondered into Zara to see what’s new in the world of fashion, and OMG would you look at the price tags! I know Zara is a Spanish label and that there are import taxes to pay and so on, but $80 for a shirt? A SHIRT?!?! Honestly, I don’t remember this shop being so expensive, and it got me thinking… Zara in Spain is like buying your clothes in K-Mart - not that there’s anything wrong with K-Mart, you can find really cute things if you browse long enough… I actually bought these really cute olive green tights there which I should really use more often… Anyway, that’s not the point. The point is, Zara is not a high-end store, now is it? When I went to Spain with my parents I had the greatest time shopping there because everything was so much cheaper. Even to my exchange rate, which makes Euros quite expensive, I was buying clothes for less than half the price that I would get them here. I even have a friend whose mum lives in Spain and when she comes and visits, she brings loads of gorgeous clothes for her daughter. My friend basically just goes to Zara here, looks up what she likes, e-mails her mum like “hey there’s a really cute dress I liked” and her mum buys it for her and she pays her back! But not all our mums live in Spain, so were stuck with the prices they bring to Colombia. Just to prove my point I bought a royal blue v-neck tee (really cute) which cost me $25 UDS (49,000 COP.) I carefully removed the price tag covering the real price which is in Euros and it only cost €6! Convert that to dollars and you get around $9. That’s 36% under the price they sell it here! Talk about overpriced! Anyway, I got a new t-shirt out of it. I then wondered into a small smaller corner shop which caught my eye because they had a “go green” sign on their window display. Things were seriously overpriced, but I soon found out all their money goes to a foundation in charge of the environment and saving the Earth. I bought a little paper weight which I can save for some present I have to give some time or another, but I felt really good about contributing, even just a little on saving our planet. It got to me so much that I planned today’s outfit in favor of pollution awareness. My entire outfit is earthly colors, blues and greens and browns… Colors we won’t be seeing for much longer if we keep polluting like this… Speaking of which… I wanted to dedicate a small slot of today’s blog to remind all you readers out there that the world we live in is our home, and as such we should take better care of it. People pollute and don’t really care about the environment if it doesn’t affect them directly – what they don’t realize is that it does. It’s our planet, and what we do with it is what one day we’ll leave to our children and their children after that, and their children after that, and so on. We pollute the world today, there might not be any of it left in 100 years. Think about it, that isn’t too long into the future from today.
Take a few minute from your time to watch this award winning animated video on global warming, and a small animated video about polar bears discussing climate change. Together, we can all make a difference. –Rx.

1 comment:

  1. Love today's outfit!!!! Go green!! yeii! btw I recycle everything in my house, and turn out lights, and use a bike, to go the university or the beach!!!!
    Anyway....I know you know I read your blog EVERYDAY so....is the zara thing a hint for me? do you want me to mail you some zara cloths? jajajaaj just let me know...we can figure a way to make it work!!!
    love u

    ReplyDelete