Search This Blog

Thursday, June 2, 2011

June 2, 2011




Location: Bogota, Colombia
Weather: ClOuDy
Mood: love your enemies, it pisses them off... hehehe

Excuse the mood, there's just this silly girl that goes to my gym that really pisses me off. She's like the gym's equivalent to teacher's pet and God I hated teacher's pets... Anyway, let's not talk about morons, let's talk macramé. When I think macramé I think the peanut butter of fashion. It can be chunky and quite deceiving, and like marmite, either you love it, or you hate it. For those unfamiliar with the term, macramé is a form of textile that looks like knitting but made purely with knots. Anyway, macramé is hot this month, or at least that’s what’s on Vogue, and dear readers, Vogue is the Bible of fashion. You've probably seen it in bracelets or belts but this spring designers decided to go the extra mile and make beautiful macramé garments. Because it often involves leaving big gaps between weaves, it is often a great companion for beach wear and bikinis. Did you know 19th century sailor’s use to dedicate to do all sorts of macramé objects in their spare time? Pretty neat if you ask me. Anyway, it’s also pretty neat to compliment macramé with sailor-type garments. For example, get yourself a nude macramé skirt and pair it up with a blue and white tank top and a pair of red sandals and you can hit the sails of that cute guy’s yacht. Then will you be honoring the 19th century seamen while looking very chic and sexy – what a fab. combination. If you want more ideas on ways to combine macramé (in case, like me, you live in a very cold climate) check out designer’s collections such as Dior and Gucci 2011. Jen Kao,  and Malandrino are also great designers with beautiful macramé proposals. Today I’m going to combine my own touch of macramé with a brown artisanal belt I bought in San Francisco (really cute) and a new purple cardigan I bought in Zara the other day and YES! my purple $5 dollar flats! The cardi’s really cute ‘cos it’s got small, brown, elbow patches that match my belt and give it a very distinct look. You know what? I use to hate purple, but right now, I really love it! I wonder if I’ll ever feel that way about orange? … NAAAAH!!! –Rx.   

PS: Btw, you've all probaly once had a (or a few) macramé bracelet(s)... Yes you have... You've even made one yourself. Remember how you used to ask your mum to buy you threads to make bracelets for all your friends? That's macramé!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment