Search This Blog

Friday, May 27, 2011

May 27, 2011





Location: Bogota, Colombia

Weather: Sunny
Mood: Really annoyed

If I could start to describe how annoyed I was you would probably stop reading right now…Fortunately for you, I can’t. The electricity company is driving me nuts with all this “lights on – lights off” rubbish. Still, never mind them, my wanting to kill someone right now has nothing to do with this blog. This blog is about fashion. And it’s Friday, and I will not let this get to me. Friday. What is it about Fridays that makes the world so much better? I’m not sure, but it’s wonderful. So, to make it even more wonderful, I want to talk about something crucial to fashion regarding this season’s latest trends: neon colors. In case you’ve been in the dark lately (like me) neon bright colors are back on the runway this season. My first reaction was like “really? That is sooo 20 years ago!” I mean my mum still has in the back of her wardrobe somewhere a black cardigan with bright-colored rhombi which I thought was a little too bright, if you know what I mean. But as it turns out, she just had an incredible fashion premonition! So when you open your wardrobe this season think bright: blue, red, yellow, green, magenta, purple… even orange! Basically any color you can stick the word “electric” before it works just fine. I know it might be a bit hard to adjust to, but trust me, once you’ve embraced it, you’ll brighten up any room. Now, if you want a real fashion challenge, try wearing lots of bright colors at the same time. I know experimenting with color is a bit scarier that you care to admit, but how many white and black clothes do you have vs. really bright colored clothes in your wardrobe right now? Be honest… Summer is the perfect time to experiment with bright colors, ignore the weather: if it’s sunny, then great, you won’t feel like a totally misplaced clown. If it’s cloudy and rainy, you’ll stand out and vivify the day away!

Tips and Tricks for wearing and mixing bright colors:

*     Accessorize: I know embracing the idea at first might be a bit strange, so try wearing all black and wearing bright turquoise shoes a yellow pashmina, and a blue handbag. With baby steps you’ll feel more confident and less flashy
*    Makeup: if you’re a makeup fan (I’m not, to be quite honest) you could try purple eye liner and bright pink lipstick with a coat of clear lip gloss over it. It’s an excellent way to experiment with bright hues
*    Don’t mix too many colors at once: Wearing three or even four colors at once can create an incredible look, but I recommend stopping there. Mix five or more colors and you’ll risk looking like a rainbow explosion (and not in a good way)!

Apart from that, experiment away! I’m starting out slow too; don’t think I’m Miss Rainbow Bright or anything. I’ve picked out for today a very simple outfit with my denim overall and my white Abercrombie shirt. To brighten it up a notch I’ve matched it with my new electric blue tights and a matching pashmina. And what better way to compliment it than with my totally colorful Coach handbag! I’m also wearing black suede boots (which I missed to illustrate but since the background is black already, I thought well, why bother…) LET THERE BE LIGHT! –Rx. 


No comments:

Post a Comment